This week on The Dark Times we had to do 2 daily creates and so I did 3. I did Monday through Wednesday and had a lot of fun editing each picture.
This week we also had to think up some ideas for a radio show, I didn’t have to many since there is only so much you can do with sound. We also had to reflect on different audio storytelling techniques (different musics, sound effects, etc).
Luckly we did get to do more fun stuff other then analyzing audio storytelling, we had to create a radio bumper for the ds106 radio, and a bunch more audio assignments. We had to complete at least 8 points worth therefore I did 911 What’s Your Emergency? (3.5pts), Imitate Some Weather (1.5pts), Favorite Song (1.5pts), and Sound Effect Story (3.5pts).
All the audio editing was done on audacity.
This week we had to watch 2 videos and compare them both on the Touch of Evil and Touch of Evil (no restored version). The only real difference between each video is that the no restored version was longer and that they both had different music playing along. The regular version had a happy song playing along giving an entirely different sense to the opening then the no restored version which had a darker tone to it. The darker tone made the clip more noir and more intense when the car exploded.
We also had to participate on a tweet along with the ds106 radio. I participated on Thursday. I really like the astronaut story about Buzz and Neil how they get stuck on the moon yet they do not panic. All the sound effects within both stories The Killers and the Moon Landing were also amazing and added to the story making one feel as if they were standing on the moon or in the cross fire. Without these sound effects we would have just been sitting there hearing a story being read to us, which would have been extremely boring, most of us would have probably dazed off.
Sound Effect Story (3.5pts)
This is a story about my character, Shadow. He is out for the night hunting for things to take, he finds a jewelry store a runs around to make sure the coast is clear. He notices the doorknob is old and jiggles it open. The alarm goes off, he starts to break the showcases. Not knowing the police station is close by he hears the police cars approach. He tries to get a few more things before they arrive. Before he knows it the cops have him surrounded, he is a goner. Shadow now gets to spend another night in the slammer, its like his second home at this point.
These are some of my ideas for a future noir themed radio show:
- book readings- stories we have read for class
- story time/ movies- movies we have watched with the noir theme or stories that we have created
- noir character talks- group characters stories and lives/ random situations
- video audio
Favorite Song (1.5pts)
Here are some clips of my favorite songs without the lyrics can you guess what songs they are? (comment if you figured them out)
- This is one is a pretty easy one:
Imitate Some Weather (1.5pts)
- I love waking up to the sound of rain so here is my attempt to imitate a thunderstorm. The assignment required items that are used to be within reach, therefore I used a water bottle to attempt to make thunder and a beaded headband I was wearing to attempt raindrops. It doesn’t really sound anything like rain but I tried so no judging (if anything it is static phone call).
Create a ds106 radio bumper
The following is my bumper for ds106 radio, with the theme of noir. I didn’t use any sound effects but I did edit the voices, this was pretty fun to make although my roommate probably didn’t agree since I had this on replay for her. Song Credit: Crazy Train- Ozzy Osbourne
DS106 Radio Bumper
911, What’s your emergency? (3.5pts)
I’ve never had to call 911 before (thank God) but I still had a lot of fun with this assignment, I just took what I have seen in movies, made my own situation and gave it a little twist.
- Operator- Hello, 911, what’s your emergency?
- Woman- They have come to take me!
- Operator- Who is coming to take you? Where are you?
- Woman- Them.
- Operator- Them who?
- Woman- The people! You know who!
- Operator- M’am I am sorry, I need you to explain… are you in immediate danger?
- Woman- Yes.
- Operator- Alright m’am I am sending help!
- Woman- It’s too late they found me! Help!
- Operator- Can you describe the people?!
- Woman- They are MONSTERS!!.. (hangs up)
- Operator- Hello, 911, what’s your emergency?
- Woman- I need a doctor!
- Operator- What is your location? We will send help!
- Woman- I called earlier, I escape. I barely made it…
- Operator- M’am what are the extent of your injuries? Who are they?
- Woman- I have a major bruise to my ego and pride.
- Operator- M’am this line is for emergencies only!
- Woman- …it was the in laws
- Operator- (gasp) Help will be there shortly, just hang on sweetheart!
- Woman- I can’t…(beep)
- Operator- DAMMIT the in laws have taken another innocent soul and tore it to shreds! When will they stop!!
This week I did 3 daily creates:
Monday-Ruin-Porn Photography Today
- A picture of the old amphitheater here on campus, it is no longer used and it looked antique so I thought might as well used this picture for the “decay” daily create.
- This is a picture of my friend’s dog (basically my dog), when I read that we had to create a picture with the theme I am sorry I immediately thought of Maxi who always looks like he did something wrong and he’s sorry about it.
Wednesday-Cute Puppy Alert
- For this daily create we had to caption Kevin the puppy. Definitely read the caption with a deep voice.